Beheira governorate is situated on the coast of Nile Delta, on the northern side of the Arab Republic of Egypt. The capital of this governorate is the city of Damanhur. The name ‘Beheira’ means ‘The Lake’ in Arabic language and this name is justified, due to the presence of many water bodies of the Delta region. This governorate is said to be very important due to the presence of Rosetta, one of the prime port cities of Egypt.
Damanhur was known in the ancient Egyptian scripts by the name "Dmi en Hor", which means the city of the god Hor or Horus, on the grounds that it was a center for the worship of this god. It was also known by other names: in the Egyptian texts, "Behdet"; in the Greek texts "Hermou Polis Mikra" (the lesser city of Hermes), translated to Latin by the Romans as "Hermopolis Parva"; the name "Obollenoboles" (or Apollonopolis) associated it with the Greek god Apollo, and it was also called "Tel Ballamon". Later, the Egyptians reverted to the old name, represented as "Temenhor", which after the Islamic conquest was reinterpreted in Arabic as "Damanhur", the present name.
By 14 of September 1807, a treaty of Damanhur was signed between Mohamed Ali Pasha and the English General Frasier, the chief of Military Troops were attacking the Egyptian Coast and occupying Alexandria by help of promised Al-Alfi Bic, but English troops were defeated by People of Rosetta (a Northern city 30 km east of Alexandria where the Nile and the Mediterranean Sea meet) where the troops were trapped inside the city and many English soldiers died, so The General Frasier requested to Leave Egyptian Shores without delay, which done by 14/9/1807, Damanhur treaty was the First agreement drafted in Egyptian new and modern Era.
It is a town, located in a valley of the same name, in Beheira governorate. It has got its name from the natron salt, produced from the eight lakes of this region. In ancient Christian scriptures, this town was mentioned as Scetis and it is mainly famous for housing one of the oldest sites of Christian monasteries in this Egyptian region. These monasteries are pious to the Christians, as they were inhabited by some great saints of this religion; like Saint Amun, Saint Arsenius and Saint Samuel the Confessor.
It is a medium-sized town and one of the administrative centers of Beheira governorate, named after a well-known local sheikh, who lived here years ago. This town is also famous for the Nakhla meteorite, which fell here in 1911, probably from Mars.
It is a vital Egyptian port, near to Alexandria and was earlier known as ‘Rashid’ in Arabic, which means ‘Guide’. The town was renamed as ‘Rosetta’ by the French invaders, after the Rosetta Stone, a granodiorite stele, on which a decree of King Ptolemy V was written in 196 BC. It is a popular tourist spot, due to the presence of a palace built during Ottoman rule, Fort Julien that was built by the French and the various orchards.
It is a seat of several industries of Egypt, including the power generation plant, textile industries, paints, chemicals and silk fibers. Misr Spinning and Weaving Company is the largest industrial house of this city. Some ancient pyramids of the rulers of the Ptolemaic period, near this city are well-known tourist attractions.
Damanhour Opera House is a historic opera built in the reign of King Fuad I, in 1930, similar to the Cairo Opera, which burned in the seventies of the last century. King Fouad laid the foundation stone for the municipal building and the cinema and library on the eighth of November 1930 was released on the west side of the building first, "Cinema and Teatro Farouk," and then the name of the "Cinema Farouk change" to "Municipal Cinema" in 1952. It remained so until 1977 when the name changed to "Cinema Winter victory." Finally he called "theater and opera Damanhour." The library was named the "King Fouad Library," then called the late writer Tawfiq al-Hakim's name. It is the municipal building the eastern section, while operating movie theater building the western section
A private rest house built by king Ismail,his grandson King Fuad I change it to a royal palace on the Italian style, "Fuad" ordered to bring massive amounts of concrete blocks on Pharaonic style for the construction, the floors was designed on the Italian style parquet, gardens were decorated with a large number of rare trees donated to the King Fuad I, and his son King Farouk.
Wadi El Natrun (Arabic for "Natron Valley""Measure of the Hearts") is a valley located in Beheira Governorate, Egypt, including a town with the same name. The name refers to the presence of eight different lakes in the region that produce natron salt. In Christian literature it is usually known as Scetis (or Skete) and is one of the three early Christian monastic centers located in the desert of the northwestern Nile Delta. The other two monastic centers are Nitria and Kellia. Although some of the individual monasteries were eventually abandoned or destroyed, four have remained in use to the present day: Monastery of Saint Macarius the Great Paromeos Monastery Monastery of Saint Pishoy Syrian Monastery
Rosetta (رشيد) is a port city of the Nile Delta, located 65 km (40 mi) east of Alexandria, in Egypt's Beheira governorate. Founded around in the 9th century, Rosetta boomed with the decline of Alexandria following the Ottoman conquest of Egypt in 1517, only to wane in importance after Alexandria's revival. During the 19th century, it was a popular British tourist destination, known for its charming Ottoman mansions, citrus groves and comparative cleanliness. The site of Rosetta was inhabited throughout the history of Ancient Egypt, then known as Khito, a hieratic word meaning "the populace", under Menes reign. In the Ptolemaic era, the town was renamed to Bolbitine(Bolbitinum, Bolbitinon, the name of one of the seven mouths of the Nile in Herodotus). In Christian Egypt, the town was again known by the vernacular (Coptic) name, now in the form In the 850s, the Abbassid caliph ordered a fort to be built on the site of the Ptolemaic city, and the medieval city grew around this fort. During the Seventh Crusade, Louis IX of France briefly occupied the town in 1249. Under the Mamelukes, the city became an important commercial center, and remained so throughout Ottoman rule, until the eventual resurgence of the importance of Alexandria following the construction of the Mahmoudiyah canal in 1807. Rosetta witnessed the defeat of the British Fraser campaign, on 19 September 1807.
stay in touch with Egyptian artisans and handmade treasures