Old Cairo (Egyptian Arabic: Masr el Qadīma) is a part of Cairo, Egypt, that contains the remnants of those cities which were capitals before Cairo, such as Fustat, as well as some other elements from the city's varied history. For example, it encompasses Coptic Cairo and its many old churches and ruins of Roman fortifications. Modern tourists visit locations such as the Coptic Museum, the Babylon Fortress, the Hanging Church and other Coptic churches, the Ben Ezra Synagogue and the Mosque of Amr ibn al-As. Fort Babylon is a Roman fortress around which many of the Egyptian Christians' oldest churches were built.
During the latter half of the 15th century, two final major transformations took place in Cairo: the port of Bulaq, and a district called al-Azbakiyyah in the northwest section of the city. The perimeters of the city had been unchanged for the past 300 years according to the map done by the French expedition in 1798 AD. With the Baybars’s conquest of Cyprus in 1428, Bulaq became the major port of Cairo. By the end of the 15th century, Bulaq was even able to take over the role as the major commercial port from Old Cairo.
Al Foustat traditional Crafts Center in Fustat is designed for the study of the traditional crafts of pottery and ceramics. The building is 2,400 square meters located in Al Foustat region in Cairo which known to produce porcelain and pottery since 641 AD. The main goal of the center is to keep the traditional crafts from extinction and train a new generation of potters and craftsmen who are willing to acquire a profession. Craft workshops were limited to the area in Khan al-Khalili. The prosperity of crafts in the area were closely associated with social and economic changes in society. For instance, mass production would reduce the price and badly affect the prospects of veteran craftspeople. That is why the Ministry of Cultural and National Guidance under Dr. Tharwat Okasha suggested in 1958 the establishment of workshops for gifted craftspeople. The ministry celebrated the idea with opening a workshop in a small room in the Bin al-Qasreen (between the two palaces) Primary School. On April 23, 2001 the new centre in front of al-Fustat Centre of Ceramics is opening.
stay in touch with Egyptian artisans and handmade treasures