Monufia governorate is one of the governorates of Egypt. It is located in the northern part of the country in the Nile Delta, to the south of Gharbia governorate and to the north of Cairo. The governorate is named after Menouf, an ancient city which was the capital of the governorate until 1826. The capital of the Monufia Governorate is the city of Shibin El Kom. The main cities of the governorate are Quesna, Tala, Bagour, Menouf, Ashmoun and Sers El Lyan. It is a mainly an agricultural governorate.
In 1826 Mohammed Ali transferred the capital of Monufia from Menouf to Shibin El Kom as the later fell exactly in the center of the governorate. Other than Shibin El Kom, the governorate had four other administrative divisions which are Quesna, Tala, Menouf and Ashmoun. In 1942, El Shohada became a new administrative division and included parts from Shibin El Kom and Tala. In 1947, Bagour was created to encompass regions from Menouf, Ashmoun, Quesna and Shibin El Kom. In 1955, five villages were taken from Tala and redistributed to Tanta. in 1960, Berket El Sabe'e (Lake of the Lion) was established and consisted of former towns and villages of Tala, Quesna and Shibin El Kom. In 1975, Sers El Lyan became a city rather than a village after it was separated from Menouf. In 1991, the Sadat City was annexed to Monufia being its only region west of the Rosetta branch.
The Denshway Museum is a museum in Al-Minufiyah, Egypt, 75 kilometers north west of Cairo which was established to commemorate the Denshawai Incident. The museum, which opened in July 1999 commemorates the Denshawai Incident, Egyptian peasants who killed a number of British occupation army officers in 1906, in retribution of the public hanging of Egyptian local villagers. The museum honers the seven Egyptians who were hanged by the British on 26 June 1906. The museum's design is that of an Egyptian pigeon tower," referring to the habit of the british soldiers to hunt the local villagers pigeons. The building consists of three levels, with three levels connected by spiral stone stairs. The museum includes a replica of the gallows, paintings and sculptures that tell the story of the incident as it unfolded, five exhibition halls, and public space.
The Sadat Museum is located in his home, built in 1962 in the village of Mitt Abu Al-Koum, his hometown, which he was so proud of. He made the main hall of the house a reception place for world leaders and government officials and the people of the village. Anwar Esmat Sadat bought the house in 1995.The Sadat Museum is located in his home, built in 1962 in the village of Mitt Abu Al-Koum, his hometown, which he was so proud of. He made the main hall of the house a reception place for world leaders and government officials and the people of the village. Anwar Esmat Sadat bought the house in 1995. The museum is a room attached to a library, which includes the president's personal belongings, which were given by Mrs. Jihan Sadat, the wife of President Anwar Sadat. The most important of which is the wristwatch of the President, which had Ayat al-Kursi on its back and his cane, that he made it himself, and was with him in all his travels.
stay in touch with Egyptian artisans and handmade treasures